UPGRADE YOUR SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
What is a safety management system?
Broadly speaking, a Safety Management System (SMS) is a structured process for identifying and managing safety risks in your business.
What are the key elements?
In most cases, a SMS will contain the following core elements*-
- Safety vision, policy and principles.
- Roles & responsibilities.
- Management commitment to safety.
- Risk management.
- Learning and development.
- Incident Investigation.
- Safety organisation structure.
- Safety Interactions and audit processes.
- Performance management.
- Emergency Response.
- Contractor safety Management.
- WHS Planning.
*Industries that operate in particular hazardous environments (oil & gas, mining, aviation, marine, chemical plants etc.) will require additional elements and the support of safety consultants.
How do we develop an SMS?
There are five cyclic steps to an effective SMS –
- Senior management commitment is the driver
- It takes good planning
- Effective Implementation
- Audit and evaluation
- Continuous improvement
How do we get started?
Contact BWC Safety and we will arrange for a preliminary review of your safety management system so that we can advise on your next steps.